The exact cause why Diabetes affects some people and not others has not been completely understood till date. However, there are some risk factors that make a person more prone to develop Diabetes.
These are as follows:
- Heredity: This cause is much more common in cases of Diabetes Type 2 that tends to run in families.
- Obesity or being overweight
- Sedentary lifestyle
- High intake of fats, alcohol
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- High triglyceride levels in blood
- Prolonged stress
- Pregnancy (gestational Diabetes)
- Advancing age, especially after 45 years of age
Symptoms of diabetes include the following:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Excessive hunger (Polyphagia)
- Excessive thirst for water (Polydipsia)
- Frequent urination (Polyuria)
- Delayed or poor healing of wounds
- Frequent urinary infection, genital yeast infection, skin infectios, etc. due to poor blood sugar control
- Blurred vision
- Increased lethargy, irritability, confusion, etc. can indicate too high or low blood sugar levels and must be immediately attended to.