Symptoms of Back Pain
Back pain today is a common health disorder, with people across age groups complaining about it. However, based on the cause and severity, back pain can turn into something serious if not treated on time.
The symptoms of back pain vary from a dull and irritating ache to excruciating pain, which can last for a day, a week or at times even months. If the pain extends for more than a week, you must consult your physician to rule out the possibility of any injury or deformity. A back pain generally arises due to discomfort or strain in the back muscles. It could also occur due to irritation or inflammation in the back bones.
The foremost symptom is a pain in your back that may get extend to your legs and buttocks. Fortunately, most people manage to identify the initial event that triggered the pain. Other symptoms of back pain include –
- Excruciating pain that shoots down till your leg
- A numbness in your legs
- A difficulty that you might experience while urinating
- A sudden jerk in your back
- Inability to move freely
- An uneasiness while you lie down on your back
- High body temperature
- Unintentional bowel movements
- A strain in the back due to heavy lifting
Reasons that can cause back pain –
- A back-muscle spasm
- Strained ligaments
- Poor quality mattress
- Cancer in the spine
- Sleeping disorder
Measures such as resting, hot water baths, hot-water bag treatment, exercising and taking a mild painkiller are usually enough to resolve the common symptoms of back pain. Some exercises can also strengthen your back and abdominal muscles. You can try these exercises by lying on a hard bed without a pillow, or lie down on the floor
- Lie down on the bed with one leg flat. Bend the other leg and bring it to your chest. Count five, release and repeat the same with the other leg
- Lie down and lift your pelvis allowing your lower back to press on to the bed. Count five. Repeat around 20 times and do this exercise 2-3 times a day.
Maintain a healthy frame of mind and you will be surprised at the positive manifestations this has on your physical health. Call our toll-free 1800 266 0607 for an appointment with Health Total experts! Sign up for a FREE consultation.