Menopause refers to a period which marks the cessation of a woman’s fertile period. It generally happens post the age of 40, ideally, between the age of 45-55 years of age. During such a period, the production of hormone called estrogen is stopped which marks the onset of menopause.
Women who suffer from menopause stop producing eggs and do not get period. In a few cases, women may also suffer from early menopause, that is, these women experience menopause before the actual age, probably from the age of 35 onwards.
Once a woman reaches the phase of menopause, she also gets prone to a lot of various other medical conditions. These include:
- Osteoporosis – During menopause, your bones become brittle and the density of your bones keep decreasing. This makes you susceptible to fractures and other joint pain.
- Cardiovascular Disease – With menopause also comes the risk of heart diseases. Therefore, it is important to keep your health under check and stay fit.
- Excess Weight – The most common health issue that women suffer from during menopause is weight gain. There is unexplained gain in their weight which in turn leads to a lot of complications.
- Diabetes – The fluctuations of hormones during menopause also takes you closer to the risk of diabetes. Low estrogen can increase your insulin levels which further aggravates your sugar cravings and weight gain.
- Infection in Urinary Tract – Menopausal women experience vaginal dryness and loss of elasticity which also causes discomfort during sex and makes them susceptible to a lot of infection.