A well-balanced vegetarian diet chart works for everyone — whether it is the children, the elderly, pregnant women, athletes or patients. The reason? A vegetarian diet has nutrients, minerals, proteins, vitamins and iron that the body requires for proper functioning.
The Indian Vegetarian Diet Chart
The Indian diet chart comprises fruits and vegetables, grains, dairy products, beans and legumes, nuts and oils. However, if you are trying to lose weight, your diet should consist of low-calorie foods like cauliflower, spinach, fruits, whole grains and pulses.
The vegetarian diet chart for weight loss in 7 days is incomplete without a blend of spices. Spices add flavour and colour to the food without adding any calories, making them a must-have in your vegetarian diet chart for weight loss. Some of the commonly used spices are turmeric, fenugreek, cardamom, cloves, coriander, mustard, ginger, garlic and cumin.
A vegetarian diet chart helps in prevention and treatment of lifestyle diseases such as obesity, heart disease and diabetes. Also, following an Indian vegetarian diet chart for weight loss in 7 days is much simpler than consuming conventional medicine or opting for a weight loss surgery. A slow switch to a vegetarian diet chart can be your best lifestyle change.
However, not all vegetarian foods make good choices when you are trying to shed the extra weight. Avoid foods cooked in ghee or fried foods like French Fries and vegetable samosas.
One-day Diet Chart for Weight Loss
Here’s a one-day generic Indian vegetarian diet chart for weight loss that you can try and kick-start with!
For more healthy recipes for weight loss, click here.
Types of Vegetarians
Should we switch to the vegetarian diet chart for weight loss as a way of life? Before we answer this question, let’s understand the different categories of vegetarians.
- The Ovo vegetarianism – Allows consumption of eggs, but excludes meat, chicken, seafood and dairy products from their vegetarian diet chart
- Ovo-Lacto vegetarianism – Allows excluding meat, seafood and chicken but allows consumption of animal products such as dairy and eggs
- Lacto vegetarianism – Excludes meat, chicken, eggs and seafood, but includes dairy products. Most Indians fall under this category
- Vegans – Known as complete vegetarians, vegans avoid all dairy products such as milk, cheese, eggs, meat, chicken and seafood, and honey. This is the most extreme of all vegetarian groups only because they avoid all dairy products
- Today’s vegetarians – They exclude all eggs, seafood, chicken, meat and most vegetables (except potatoes). These kinds survive on junk vegetarian foods such as pasta, pizza, burgers, white bread sandwiches, noodles, samosas, vada pav, kachori, pani puri and pav bhaji.
Being a healthy vegetarian takes commitment to ensure you are replacing nutrients you have cut from animal foods with plant-based alternatives. So, a lot goes into planning a vegetarian diet chart for weight loss.
Here’s a list of some foods that you must eat more often as part of vegetarian diet chart for weight loss –
Green Leafy Vegetables
They are loaded with proteins, fibre, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, which makes them perfect for weight loss diet. Dark leafy vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, cabbage and parsley are low in calories, so consuming them means easy fat loss. So, include more of veggies in your Indian vegetarian diet chart for weight loss in 7 days!
They improve metabolism as well reduce high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Fruits like watermelon, muskmelon, papaya, orange and apples have a high content of water. This makes them great choices for weight loss. However, fruits contain sugar so if you’re having diabetes, check with your doctor for which fruits to eat and avoid.
Nuts & Seeds
Nuts have numerous health benefits, for instance, they are rich in proteins and fibre, and packed with essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Meanwhile, seeds like pumpkin, chia, sunflower and flax are high in fibre and offer a number of weight loss benefits. Seeds curb your sugar cravings, so incorporating them in your vegetarian diet chart for weight loss in 7 days will keep you away from unhealthy snacks.
They supply energy to your body and so grains are an essential part of your weight loss diet. Grains are rich in carbohydrates, fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals. As part of your weight loss diet, you can include whole wheat bread, brown rice, oats and porridge.