Stevia is a natural sweetener and is available in many forms. The native Americans have been using stevia leaf for centuries, but it recently became popular as a conventional sweetening agent the world over. With the rise in diabetic patients in the country, Indians must look up to the benefits of stevia. Another reason why stevia could be popular among Indians is that we love eating sweets. No festival is complete without sweets and puddings. When it comes to health, stevia is everything that sugar is not! Looking at these health benefits of Stevia, it makes for a good sugar replacement.
Benefits of Stevia
- Aids Weight Loss – Stevia leaf has zero calories and is therefore good for weight loss when used as a sugar substitute over time.
- Nothing artificial about it – Unlike artificial sweeteners, stevia is completely natural as it is derived from a plant and is often called the ‘sweet-leaf’.
- Diabetic Friendly – The glycosides in stevia leaf are not absorbed into the bloodstream, instead, get absorbed by the colon bacteria. This helps in managing diabetes by keeping the blood sugar levels in check. Moreover, while the glycemic index of sugar is 62-65, stevia has zero GI.
- Promotes Oral Hygiene – Its anti-microbial and non-acidogenic properties reduce the risk of cavities and gingivitis, unlike sugar that forms an adhesive layer on the teeth and forms plaque and cavities, stevia does no such harm to your teeth.
- Highly Concentrated – Stevia is much sweeter than sugar, a single serving of stevia is about 100 to 300 times sweeter than sugar. Added to that, it has only 1-gram carbohydrates per serving. In all, one drop of stevia goes a long way.
- Non-addictive with no Side Effects – Artificial sweeteners might not have calories or glycemic index, but they still induce addictiveness and craving for sweet foods. In some cases, people using artificial sweeteners experienced a headache, dizziness, stomach pain. Stevia does not report such side effects.
- Regulate Blood Pressure and Hypertension – The glycosides in stevia aid blood vessels to relax and manage blood pressure. It can also induce urination to flush out excess sodium from your system. Regulating the blood pressure also benefits in managing hypertension.
- Anti-microbial and Anti-septic: – Its anti-microbial properties prevent infections like candidiasis and other fungal infections.
So, you could start by replacing sugar with stevia drops in your lemonade, tea, coffee, and other beverages. When applied topically as a whole stevia leaf face mask, it can tighten up and rejuvenate the skin, and reduce blemishes and acne. Finally, there are many benefits to replacing sugar with stevia, however, use it in moderation. For more queries Chat with our Experts and Buy Stevia Leaves here.