Diabetes Nutrigenomics Counselling for Managing Blood Sugar Levels
Diabetes is a chronic health condition marked by high blood sugar levels. You suffer from this unhealthy condition when your body either fails to produce sufficient insulin or you are unable to use it as your cells are resistant to the insulin’s effects. Insulin is a hormone which regulates your blood sugar levels and metabolism. It helps the glucose in your blood to enter the cells of your muscles, fats, and liver. When you are unable to produce enough insulin or your body cells turn resistant to the effects of insulin, you experience elevated blood glucose levels and get diabetes. Health Total realises the role of nutrition and diet in managing diabetes and offers you the best nutrigenomics diabetes consultation to help you manage diabetes with DNA testing.
What is the Significance of Diabetes DNA Panel?
Our Diabetes management panel analyses genes that play a vital role in maintaining insulin sensitivity and free fatty acid concentrations in the blood. This helps to understand the risks of diabetes and obesity, which can then be mitigated through a proper diet and exercise regimen. Our expert dieticians formulate a customised diet for diabetes management based on the report of your genetic testing for diabetes.
How Nutrigenomics Diabetes Counselling is Beneficial?
Nutrigenomics is a precise study of how the intake of various foods can affect the expression of the genes in an individual and how one’s genetic makeup happens to affect the response to the nutrients, bioactive components in the food, and metabolism. Genetic composition and diet both play a role in the change in one’s health and vulnerability to various ailments, including diabetes. So, identifying the genes whose expressions can be managed by diet and that can lead to chronic health conditions, such as diabetes, can help in the development of helpful diagnostic tools, customised treatment plans, and strategies for helping you enjoy good health.
The hormone that regulates blood sugar levels is insulin. If your body does not produce enough insulin or your cells are resistant to the effects of insulin, you may develop hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar), which can cause long-term complications if the blood sugar levels stay elevated for a long time.
Insulin resistance in muscle and fat cells reduces glucose uptake, whereas insulin resistance in liver cells results in reduced glycogen synthesis and storage and also a failure to suppress glucose production and release into the blood. Going for genetic testing for diabetes can help in an effective nutrigenomics diabetes consultation. Diabetes nutrigenomics counsellors can help you have a customised diet plan to keep your blood sugar levels in check. Nutrigenomics diabetes consultation can help include the right nutritious foods in your regular diet and eliminate or limit foods that may lead to a spike in your blood sugar levels or affect metabolism or the expression of the genes adversely.
What Foods to Eat When Managing Diabetes?
Here’s a list of some best foods that you may have in your diet for diabetes based on your nutrigenomics diabetes consultation.
- Green Leafy Vegetables:Loaded with essential minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients, green leafy vegetables hardly make any impact on blood glucose levels. Also, they supply you with fibre, proteins, and starch-digesting enzymes. So, our expert dieticians may recommend you add green leafy vegetables, such as kale, spinach, collard greens, broccoli, and cabbage, to your diet plan for diabetes.
- Berries: Rich in antioxidants, berries can help avoid oxidative stress whose chronic levels are often found in diabetic patients. They also contain plenty of fibre, minerals, and vitamins. So, our certified nutritionists may suggest adding raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries to your breakfast, salad, or smoothies to manage diabetes with DNA testing.
- Fatty Fish: Being abundant in omega-3 fatty acids, namely DHA and EPA, fatty fish is healthy food for diabetic individuals. Eating fatty fish not only helps manage blood glucose levels and blood lipids but also promotes healthy body functions and brain and heart health. So, based on your gene test report, our expert nutritionists may recommend adding salmon, trout, sardines, herring, and other fatty fish to your diet during nutrigenomics diabetes consultation.
- Walnuts: Packed with omega-3 and alpha-lipoic acid, walnuts are healthy food for managing diabetes and improving heart health. Also, they supply you with a healthy dose of vitamin B6, iron, protein, and magnesium. So, our expert dieticians may suggest you snack on walnuts or add them to your salad to keep your blood sugar levels in check.
- Probiotic Yoghurt: Probiotic yoghurt not just improves digestion and gut health but also helps minimizes oxidative stress and inflammation, increases insulin sensitivity, improves cholesterol levels in diabetic individuals, and reduces the risk of heart diseases. So, during nutrigenomics diabetes consultation, our health experts may recommend adding nutritious nuts and berries to a bowl of yoghurt and having it during breakfast or as a dessert after meals.
- Chia Seeds:Packed with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds are a good source of fibre and proteins. Including them in your diet can help manage type 2 diabetes. So, our certified dieticians may recommend seasoning your salads and breakfasts with chia seeds to manage your blood sugar levels healthily.
What Foods to Limit or Avoid When Dealing With Diabetes?
While managing your blood sugar levels, you need to balance the quantities of certain foods in your diet. Here’s a list of foods that you should limit or avoid to keep your blood sugar levels in check.
- High GI Foods:High GI foods are likely to cause a spike in your blood glucose levels. So, you need to restrict the intake of high GI foods and balance them with nutritious sources of healthy fat and proteins to keep your diabetes in check. White bread, white rice, white pasta, popcorn, and puffed rice are some of the high GI foods that our health experts may suggest limiting or avoiding in your diet during nutrigenomics diabetes consultation.
- Foods with Saturated and Trans Fats: Eating foods containing unhealthy fats, such as trans and saturated fats, can impact the health of diabetic patients adversely. So, while managing diabetes with DNA testing,our health experts recommend staying away from baked goods, processed foods, and fried foods.
- Sugary Fluids:Having fluids that are loaded with sugar can disrupt insulin levels of diabetic patients and affect their health adversely. So, we suggest restricting or avoiding sugar abundant fluids, such as energy drinks, shakes, and some coffees, based on the report of your genetic testing for diabetes.
- Carb-Heavy Foods:Even though carbohydrates are an integral part of our diet, diabetic individuals happen to benefit from restricting their consumption of carbohydrates. You may also pair carbohydrates food sources with healthy fats and protein rich options to limit the intake of carb-heavy foods.
- Refined Sugar:When battling diabetes, it is wise to highly restrict or avoid foods having refined sugar including sweets, cakes, biscuits, and similar others.
- Alcohol:The consumption of alcohol may affect the health of diabetic individuals, particularly diabetic patients using insulin to regulate their blood sugar levels. It can increase their risk of suffering from hypoglycaemia. So, whenmanaging diabetes with DNA testing, our health experts suggest restricting or avoiding the intake of alcohol.
So, if you are battling diabetes and wish to avoid the health risks of high blood sugar levels by opting for natural ways, resorting to nutrigenomics and genetic testing for diabetes can help. Our pool of talented health experts offers you quality nutrigenomic diabetes counselling to help you learn which foods can cause a spike in your blood sugar levels and modify the expression of your genes. Our certified dieticians provide you with a personalized diet plan for diabetes that not only helps you keep your blood glucose levels in check but also aids in nourishing your body with essential nutrients, managing your weight, increasing your immunity, and improving your quality of life. So, be quick, reach out to us at Health Total, get your genetic testing for diabetes done and receive the best diet for diabetes to manage your blood sugar levels, prevent the risk of possible health hazards, and enjoy a healthy, happy life with our nutrigenomics diabetes consultation.
Sign up for a FREE consultation with Health Total experts to get more tips for any health condition. Call toll-free at 1-800-843-0206 and book an appointment!