The most common cause of type 2 diabetes is eating too much of the wrong kind of carbohydrates. This is a path to self-destruction, eventually leading to high Blood pressure, high triglyceride, and low HDL (good cholesterol). Other reasons include a genetic predisposition to the disease, stress, and decrease in physical activity.
Effective tips to manage type 2 diabetes
- Eat low glycemic foods such as oats, barley, bran, jowar, whole pulses, vegetables, nuts, and seeds.
- Avoid sugar and foods containing sugar such as chocolates, desserts, sweets, soft drinks, white flour, cakes, biscuits, pizzas, rice, high sugar foods.
- Don’t drink fruit juices as they contain too much sugar (more than what a type 2 diabetic can handle).
- Reduce intake of saturated fats and hydrogenated fats as it increases insulin resistance.
- Fish oils have shown to improve insulin resistance. So eat fish 3 times a week or take fish oils supplements.
- Increase fiber in your diet by increasing your intake of green vegetables and whole grains.
- Walk for 30-40 minutes every day.
We are not alone in our concern that type II diabetes is a growing national crisis. There are too many lives at stake and you have nothing to lose by embarking upon a sound nutritional program. We sincerely hope more and more people become open to the theory that eating right along with a bit of exercise and taking a few important nutrients is the only way to prevent as well as manage diabetes and obesity.