Arrest the causative factors before you allow varicose veins to make your legs their home.
Some of these steps can prevent their appearance:
- If you are overweight, try to lose the weight.
- Sitting or standing in the same position increases susceptibility to varicose veins. So, move around at regular intervals to improve blood circulation.
- Practice deep breathing and yoga as they relax the veins and promote healthy valve function.
- Avoid wearing high heels.
- Wear comfortable clothes especially around waist, groin, and legs. Tight clothes make varicose veins worst.
- Pregnant women must position their legs above heart level while relaxing for the blood to flow easily towards heart and prevent swollen feet.
- Those who engage regularly in aerobic activities such as walking and swimming stand a better chance of preventing varicose veins.
- Avoid scratching the itchy skin around the varicose veins. This can cause ulceration and bleeding.
- Wear compression stockings. They create a gentle pressure up the legs and prevent blood from pooling in the legs and thus, reduce swelling.
- A diet rich in fiber such as whole grain cereals and pulses, green leafy vegetables, and fruits helps prevent constipation, removes toxins in the blood, and maintains good vascular health. This prevents back flowing of the blood into the legs.
- Free radicals are one of the key reasons for damage of venous walls. Antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin E help maintain the integrity of veins.
- Drinking a glass of carrot juice or mint and coriander juice is important to maintain good vascular health.
- Increase intake of bioflavonoid rich foods such as apricots, blueberries, blackberries, and cherries. They contain a special antioxidant called rutin that maintains good vein health.
- Zinc, the magic nutrient, speeds up wound healing and plays an important role as an antioxidant. It should be consumed through variety of foods such as mushroom, shrimp, broccoli, whole grains, and sesame seeds.
- Eating raw garlic, ginger, and onion through salads or juices dissolves vein blockages and allows blood to flow freely through veins.
- Pineapple and parsley are other wonder foods that are associated with good oxygenation of blood, which improve vein elasticity.
- If you are prone to varicose veins, eat a diet low in sugar, saturated fats and red meat will prevent further damage of veins.
Although the problem is usually a matter of appearance of most of us, if at any point you experience excruciating pain, notice bleeding or ulcers, seeking medical help at the earliest is a must.