9 Undesirable Health Effects of Overweight and Obesity In Women
Good health and beauty are jewels of every woman. Maintaining good health is the key to looking beautiful. Good appearance is a crucial part of every woman’s personality. Being overweight or obese not only hampers your appearance but also increases your risk of developing various health issues. A woman’s health suffers from drastic adverse effects due to weight gain. Obesity and overweight are undesirable conditions that can be described as an accumulation of excessive or abnormal fat in the body that may affect your health negatively. Fortunately, following a customised weight loss program for womencan help you get rid of excess kilos, get in shape, and enjoy a healthy life. Let’s have a look at the effects of overweight and obesity in women.
BMI or Body Mass Index is known to be a simple weight-for-height index that helps in classifying obesity and overweight in adults. BMI is easy to calculate. You get BMI by using the square of your height in meters to divide your weight in kilograms. BMI helps you in figuring out whether you are overweight or obese or having a healthy weight. As per WHO, in adults, obesity and overweight can be determined in the following conditions.
- An individual is overweight if his BMI is greater than or equal to 25.
- An individual is obese if his BMI is greater than or equal to 30.
Obesity and overweight cause several adverse health effects, which are overwhelming in women. Check out some of the health effects of obesity and overweight in women.
9 Health Effects of Obesity and Overweight in Women:
- PCOS: Obesity has a strong link with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), which is a hormonal disorder that leads to enlarged ovaries due to the development of small cysts on their outer edges. Weight gain and obesity contribute to the development and exacerbation of PCOS. Irregular menses, depression, an undesirable loss of scalp hair, acne, and unwanted hair growth are some symptoms of PCOS that an obese female may develop. Managing your weight is the key to staying healthy and preventing the development of PCOS. Seeking the guidance of a dietician and following a customised weight loss program for women can work wonders in having a healthy weight and good health.
- Pregnancy Issues:Obese and overweight ladies happen to have high levels of leptin, a hormone that fatty tissue produces. As a result, their hormonal balance may get disrupted and can lead to reduced fertility. So, obese women may find it difficult to get pregnant. Additionally, obesity and overweight can make you suffer from health complications while you are expecting that include high blood pressure levels and gestational diabetes. High blood pressure due to obesity can cause a serious pregnancy condition known as pre-eclampsia. So, all women should keep their weight in check to avoid hazardous health risks of obesity and overweight. A weight loss program for women can help them have a healthy weight.
- Diabetes:Putting on an excess weight can make you twice likely to turn diabetic. Opting for a weight-loss diet plan for women can help you have a healthy weight, manage blood sugar levels, and prevent the risk of getting diabetes. If you are already diabetic, weight loss efforts can help you keep your blood sugar levels in check.
- Breathing Problems: Being obese and overweight can make women suffer from sleep apnea, which is a sleep disorder that results due to excess fat in the neck that is responsible for narrowing the airways. The disorder curbs your breathing or makes you prone to have shallow breaths while you are asleep. As a result, women with sleep apnea may fail to receive the sufficient oxygen that their brains and bodies need. It can also result in health issues, such as heart-related ailments. So, it is essential to get rid of obesity with a weight loss diet plan for women.
- Several Types of Cancer:Another major overweight and obesity health risk in women is the development of cancer. Obesity or overweight females are at a greater risk of developing 13 various types of cancer that include ovarian, breast, pancreatic, kidney, liver, colon and rectal, stomach, gallbladder, meningioma, multiple myeloma, esophagus, endometrial, and thyroid cancers. It is wise to follow an appropriate weight loss program for women to keep these hazardous effects of obesity at bay.
- Cardiovascular Diseases:Heart-related ailments are one of the leading causes of death in women. Overweight and obesity cause excess of unhealthy weight gain, which increases the risk of developing heart-related diseases in females. A personalized weight loss diet plan for women can help you manage your weight and stay away from various cardiovascular health risks of obesity.
- High Cholesterol:Overweight and obesity in women results due to excess fat in the body. The accumulation of this excess of fats transmits chemical signals that modify how your body processes food, thereby resulting in high levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol. As a result, fatty plaque builds up in your arteries, which is extremely hazardous to your health. High levels of LDL cholesterol in women increases the risk of developing the heart-related condition and other serious health issues. Losing weight healthily by following a weight loss program for women can help improve HDL cholesterol levels, lower LDL cholesterol, and prevent cardiovascular conditions.
- Hypertension:Overweight women are twice likely to get hypertension and obese women are thrice likely to have high blood pressure as compared to the females who are not obese or overweight. Hypertension can cause damage to your arteries that can cause serious health concerns, such as heart ailments and stroke. Losing weight is the key to managing blood pressure. So, choose a personalized weight loss diet plan for women to get in shape and healthy naturally.
Stroke: Obesity and overweight raise your risk of suffering from a stroke, particularly when you happen to have excess fat around your waist. Managing your weight by following the right diet is the key to having a healthy weight, getting rid of belly fat, and keeping the risk of stroke at bay naturally.
Learning about these potential health risks of obesity and overweight can be an eye-opener to many of you. Managing weight by following a customised weight loss diet plan for women under the guidance of certified dieticians, such as health experts at Health Total, can be effective in helping you get in shape and stay hale and hearty. So, be quick, get in touch with us at Health Total and stay in pink of health with our personalized weight loss programs for women.