Causes for Bed Wetting in Children and Adults
Deep in their sleep an individual hardly realizes the awkwardness that might be caused the next morning. It’s their body’s uncontrollable response due to certain reasons.
Most likely, a child wets the bed for one or more reasons, such as:
- Delayed growth. Children whose nervous system is still forming may not be able to know when their bladder is full.
- A small bladder. Some children may have a bladder that gets full quickly.
- Too little antidiuretic hormone. The body makes this hormone, which rises at night to tell the kidneys to release less water. Some children may not have enough of this hormone.
- Deep sleeping. Many children who wet the bed sleep so deeply that they don’t wake up to use the bathroom. They probably will wet the bed less often as they get older and their sleep pattern changes.
- Emotional or social factors. Children may be more likely to wet the bed if they have some stress. For example, a child may have a new brother or sister.
- Children who wet the bed after having had dry nights for 6 or more months may have a medical problem, such as a bladder infection. Or stress may be causing them to wet the bed.
In adults, bed-wetting could be related to a lot of reasons. Below mentioned are few of the causes:
- When the bladder is unable to store extra amount of urine during the night
- When you produce a large amount of urine at night
- When a person wakes up unexpectedly in a state of terror
- When the person is suffering from Type 1 diabetes
- When there is an infection in the urinary tract
- When the prostate gland increases in size
- Under the influence of stress, fear or anxiety
- At times, when you experience a fluctuation in your hormonal levels
- When you are affected with constipation
- When there are abnormal pauses in your breathing while sleeping
ANJALI MUKERJEE, Nutritionist, Founder Director-Health Total, having health centers in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Pune -manages obesity & other health related disorders.
Contact numbers: 1-800-843-0206/+91 86575 61727
For further information, Visit www.health-total.com