8 Symptoms And Signs Of Strep Throat In Adults You Should Know
Worried thinking whether your throat discomfort is due to a sore throat or strep throat? Knowing the causes and signs of strep throat and how it varies from a sore throat can help you identify the condition and take the right steps for a speedy recovery. Sore throat usually develops due to a viral infection and may make you experience irritation, scratching, pain, and tenderness in the throat. However, strep throat results due to a bacteria called group A streptococcus or Streptococcus pyogenes. It may make you experience swelling of lymph nodes in the neck, fever, scratchy, sore throat and headache. Consulting a doctor for the right treatment and following certain dietary measures can help you heal. Identifying and treating the condition is crucial to prevent the risk of complications. Let’s learn more about how you catch the bacterial infection and how you can figure out strep throat symptoms in adults.
How Do You Develop A Strep Throat?
Strep throat is known for being a highly contagious infection. Group A streptococcus live in the throat and nose and spread from an infected individual to others. The bacterial infection spreads through small respiratory droplets via air when an infected person coughs, speaks, or sneezes. It may also spread through the infected sores on the body of the affected individual. Certain infected individuals may not develop symptoms of strep throat or fall sick. However, people who experience symptoms and signs of strep throat and fall sick are a lot more contagious than asymptomatic individuals.
You may catch the bacterial infection of strep throat if you:
- Inhale the infected respiratory droplets
- Eat from the same plate or drink from the same glass that an infected person has used i.e. if you share personal belongings of an infected individual.
- Touch the object having droplets sitting on it and then happen to touch your nose or mouth.
- Come in contact with the fluid from the infected sores on the skin.
8 Symptoms of Strep Throat
Even though strep throat is a mild condition, it can be quite painful and affects your quality of life. Check out some of the most common strep throat symptoms in adults.
- Sore throat:Developing a discomforting sore throat that suddenly turns a lot more intense is an indication of strep throat. Sore throat and headache are common symptoms of the condition.
- Swollen red tonsils having white streaks or patches of pus:The two lymph nodes present on either side of the back of your throat are known as tonsils. These tonsils are a crucial part of your body’s immune system. When infection hits your throat, they are the first line of defence
- Fever:Adults may develop high fever and pain without a cough, which is a prominent sign of strep throat.
- Pain while swallowing:As the bacterial infection causes inflammation of the tissues in your throat, you may experience pain and difficulty while swallowing your usual food.
- Swollen lymph nodes in the front of your neck:The swelling and tenderness of the lymph nodes indicate that they are fighting an infection.
- Small, red spots on your mouth’s hard or soft palatee. the roof of your mouth.
- Absence of Cough:While down with a common cold that you suffer due to a viral infection, you develop a cough. However, when having a strep throat infection, you are less likely to suffer from a cough. So, the absence of a cough can be an indication of a bacterial infection. You may suffer from body aches and discomforting nasal congestion.
- Rash: It may develop due to scarlet fever. You may develop redness on the skin and fine bumps. The rash may go subside in a week, and, later, you may experience skin peeling.
While these are strep throat symptoms in adults, children may experience nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting.
A viral infection affecting your throat differs from strep throat. The following symptoms are an indication of a virus affecting your throat.
- A runny nose
- Hoarseness in your voice
Complication Developing from Strep Throat:
If strep throat is left untreated, it may develop serious complications. Although the complications are not very common, they can occur due to the spread of bacteria to your other body parts. Find them below.
- Abscesses in the neck or around the tonsils (i.e. development of pockets of pus)
- Ear infections
- Sinus infections
- Rheumatic fever, which affects the heart
- Post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis – a kidney ailment.
Simple Yet Effective Home Remedies for Strep Throat:
While you may resort to antibiotics to fight off the bacterial infection, home remedies can help you obtain relief. They are similar to home remedies for sore throat. Here’s a quick rundown of it.
- Consume warm fluids, such as tea and lemon water
- Eat soft, nutritious foods, such as apple sauce and yoghurt
- Have plenty of rest
- Gargle with saltwater: Simply add a quarter teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and gargle often.
- If you have throat soreness, cold liquids may help.
- Eating honey and gargling with apple cider vinegar mixed water may also help relieve the discomfort.
- Opt for Nutritious Foods:Certain foods that are a crucial part of sore throat treatment with diet can help you have relief while down with strep throat. Some healing foods that can ease your symptoms of strep throat include ginger, lemon, and garlic.
- Use Essential Oils:Antibacterial properties of essential oils can help you experience some relief. Ingestion of essential oils is not recommended, but inhaling them or diluting them with a carrier oil and adding some drops to your bath can help fight off the bacterial infection. You can use diluted essential oils of rosemary, eucalyptus, cinnamon, thyme, wild carrot, peppermint, clove, and lavender.
If you are down with strep throat infection and looking for natural ways to heal in addition to your doctor’s treatment, resort to a healthy diet. The precious guidance of certified dieticians, such as health experts at Health Total, can help you have a customised diet for strep throat comprising nutritious foods and home remedies for a sore throat to relieve your symptoms. The personalized treatment for strep throat comprises diet, homeopathy, and Ayurveda, so it does not just helps alleviate your discomfort but also nourishes you and boosts your immunity helping you combat the infection naturally.
So, without any delay, get in touch with us online or over a call on 1-800-843-0206 and obtain relief with our customised treatment for the signs of strep throat.