When to see your doctor
Joint pain is rarely an emergency. Most cases of mild joint pain can be successfully managed at home. Make an appointment with your doctor at Health Total if your joint pain is accompanied by:
- tenderness and warmth around the joint
See your doctor at Health Total immediately if your joint pain is caused by an injury and is accompanied by:
- Joint deformity
- Inability to use the joint
- Intense pain
- Sudden swelling
When to Contact a Medical professional at Health Total
- You have a fever that is not associated with flu symptoms.
- You have lost 10 pounds or more without trying (unintended weight loss).
- Your joint pain lasts for more than 3 days.
- You have severe, unexplained joint pain and swelling, particularly if you have other unexplained symptoms
What questions are asked to you while visiting your doctor?
Your doctor or nurse will perform a physical exam and ask you questions about your medical history and symptoms, including:
- Which joint hurts? Is the pain on one side or both sides?
- What started the pain and how often have you had it? Have you had it before?
- Did this pain begin suddenly and severely, or slowly and mildly?
- Is the pain constant or does it come and go? Has the pain become more severe?
- Have you injured your joint?
- Have you had an illness, rash, or fever?
- Does resting or moving make the pain better or worse? Are certain positions more or less comfortable? Does keeping the joint elevated help?
- What other symptoms do you have?
- Is there any numbness?
- Can you bend and straighten the joint? Does the joint feel stiff?
- Are your joints stiff in the morning? If so, for how long does the stiffness last?
- What makes the stiffness better?
Anjali Mukerjee is India’s leading nutritionist, health expert and researcher. Founder and Director of Health Total, Mukerjee and her team aim to provide the highest levels of service and reliability through their health centres. Register yourself today and start your program for the best cure.